[Nmh-workers] mh-v

From: Kevin Cosgrove
Subject: [Nmh-workers] mh-v
Date: Fri, 09 Nov 2012 15:24:02 -0800

On 29 October 2012 at 20:17, address@hidden wrote:

>  > > i think an ssh + mh-v on a laptop is a decent replacement for Exmh.
>  >
>  > "mh-v" ???
>
> "MH-V - an exmh-like interface for MH/nmh mail with GTK+ colors
> and Vim key bindings" [written in perl using perl-Curses]
>
> Yes, it's mysterious.  Google "nmh mh-v" and fishing around in
> the archives might get ya to...
>
>   http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/nmh-workers/2012-01/msg00216.html
>
> and...
>
>   http://www.hep.wisc.edu/~rader/mh-v/

I grabbed it and installed it on a Fedora 17 system, which had
the few prerequisite packages already installed by some stroke
luck.

> Have been using it 40, 60 hrs/wk since I ditched EXMH in late
> Dec 2011.

I don't know that I'd ditch exmh.  How does mh-v handle image
attachments?  I like how exmh displays them automagically.

> Roughly 25k msgs received and 4k msgs sent.

Your volume seems about like mine.

> Started as a lark after barely getting vmh to compile/work on
> linux,

vmh ... wasn't that something that one could get to run on Sun-3s
with SunView?  I think I might have explored that before finding
Xmh.

> having EXMH getting annoyingly long in the tooth, and realizing
> modern curses supports 256 color xterms.
>
> Have never got around to saying "there's 1.0 version now".  Oh,
> well, the user base is probably less than two.

Be prepared for a 50% increase in the user base!  It looks pretty
good.  vim's spell check and diction highlighting works too.
Well done!

As soon as I get a minute to wrap an RPM package around the
beast, and merging the provided nmh config files with my own
custom deviations, then I'll dive into actually using it full
time for a while.  I'm happy to shoot you the .spec file for the
RPM, if that's useful to you.

Thanks!

--
Kevin