Re: [Nmh-workers] colorized/highlighted scan output?

From: Ken Hornstein
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] colorized/highlighted scan output?
Date: Fri, 02 Nov 2012 15:17:52 -0400

>We already have \-processing, though output functions like putstr strip
>them.

Careful ... how that's implemented is a bit wonky.

Technically \-processing doesn't happen in the format code; it
happens in a function called new_fs() (sbr/fmt_new.c).  Well,
new_fs() calls normalize(), but you get the idea.  My point is that
by the time fmt_compile() is called all of the \-escapes have been
processed, so fmt_compile() doesn't "see" them.

>    $ scan -format '%(lit a\tb\bc)' last | cat -A
>    a b c$
>    $
>
>How about adding \x1b to that with a new zputstr function that doesn't
>adjust column or filter the string.

We already have putlit that doesn't do the whitespace compression, so I
think zputlit makes more sense.