Re: [Nmh-workers] Email access while traveling?

From: Kevin Cosgrove
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] Email access while traveling?
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2012 13:43:12 -0700

On 23 October 2012 at 22:23, Oliver Kiddle <address@hidden> wrote:

> Kevin wrote:
> > What do you people do in such circumstances?
>
> I simply do ssh from my phone. I have a Nokia N900 which
> has a hardware keyboard and even comes with an xterm
> application. With Android, you should be able to get a terminal
> and ssh client.

I will look into getting SSH to work from my phone.  I have to
wonder how useful a terminal is with such a tiny keyboard, and
mine is bigger than many on my Razr M

> You might also want to put an alias in .ssh/config so e.g. ssh
> h will ssh to home.

Seems like a good idea.

> I also have aliases to keep MH commands short - h for scan, n
> for next, a plain number to show a message etc.

Fair enough.

> You can also put putty on a memory stick for use from Windows
> PCs.

I'm suppose traveling with a USB stick is one small price I pay
for avoiding Windows.

> I would sooner install something like ajaxterm and a web server
> than run IMAP or squirrelmail or something.

I've looked at ajaxterm when Linux Journal had an article on
that.  It seems promising.

One problem I have more and more often with running nmh in a
terminal is that people and systems frequently send messages
encoded as html or in the Microsoft variant of quoted-printable.
Neither of these is very usable in my terminal windows.  I think
that's likely because I haven't kept up on my MIME definitions
in my MHN config file.  Maybe I should unhook all my stale stuff
and see what the latest version of nmh (which I'm running) can do
with these formats.

Thanks for the suggestions....

--
Kevin