Re: [Nmh-workers] attach

From: Jon Steinhart
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] attach
Date: Sat, 15 Sep 2012 10:55:13 -0700

I'll skip all of the messages to which I'm responding since you've seen 'em
anyway.

Sorry that my quick and dirty hack is falling to pieces on you.  Still works
fine for me, but that's probably 'cause I just "attach file" and don't try
to do anything else fancy.

My intent was that everything should behave as if one was doing it at the
shell level.  Clearly I screwed up some.  I'd suggest that if changes are
made that they bring in more in line with shell consistency.  I can't see
the benefit of making special options or behaviors that aren't in the shell.
BTW, the behavior of attaching a directory is a bug to me; I never had any
intention of providing that behavior.

It does seem sensible to have attach do a better job checking when attaching.
Note that send still has to check because files can vanish between the time
that they're attached and the time that they're dereferenced and sent.

I don't think that it's worth continued testing to enumerate all of the bad
behavior in the current implementation if the plan is to fix it to be shell
consistent.

Thanks to everyone and especially David for helping to clean up my mess.

Jon