Re: [Nmh-workers] The attach feature

From: David Levine
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] The attach feature
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2012 10:25:58 -0500

Norm wrote:

> The attach feature is really great! Thank you very much!!
>
> I can't find any documentation for it,
> (./docs/README-ATTACHMENTS is for a much older nmh
> version, when the attach feature was not nearly as nice as
> it is now).

Good point, I'll update that document.  The man pages are
up to date, see send(1) and whatnow(1).

>   If I give it an extension it doesn't recognize, it is accepted anyway.
>
>   It doesn't use /etc/mime.types.

Right, it uses whatever is in your profile, first, and then
your nmh's mhn.defaults.

>   At send time, if a file extension is not recognized, it
> is regarded as having mime type, .txt or .octet-stream,
> depending on the content of the file -- I suppose ASCI or
> not.

Right.

>         Is there some way I can find out what mime types are recognized?

Look in your nmh's mhn.defaults.  On Fedora, that should
be /etc/nmh/mhn.defaults.  attach reuses the mhshow-suffix
entries.

>   Blanks can be escaped with back slashes. (I don't create files with
> blanks in their names, but I sometimes work with people who do).
> What other characters need to be escaped? I suppose back slashes
> themselves do.

It behaves the same way as your shell, so you'll need to
escape any characters that you'd escape when using ls or
whatever.

And it means that your usual pathname expansion will works.
For example, you can use *, ?, and [] if you use bash.