Re: [Nmh-workers] 1.5RC3 no longer honors mts.conf localname setting for

From: Tom Lane
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] 1.5RC3 no longer honors mts.conf localname setting for Message-ID?
Date: Tue, 05 Jun 2012 15:44:17 -0400

Ken Hornstein <address@hidden> writes:
>> I notice that Message-IDs are now generated using LocalName(1),
>> ie, it ignores any "localname" setting from mts.conf.  This seems
>> bizarre and unfortunate, as surely forcing the Message-ID host part
>> is one of the main use-cases for setting localname in the first place.

> ... really?  Last time this came up, the vast majority of people do not
> use nmh to generate Message-IDs; they let the MTA do it.  The main
> use of the localname setting (in my experience) was in the address parser
> and generator routines.

Well, that's probably fine, but then how do I get post to *not* generate
a Message-ID?  That is the default out-of-the-box behavior AFAICT, and
it's not obvious where to turn it off.  In any case, if the code is
going to have the ability to generate a Message-ID at all, meseems it
ought to be configurable.

>> BTW, while I am looking at this, it seems even more bizarre that
>> LocaleName will apply "localdomain" even when it's ignoring "localname".

> Not at all; if localname is unqualified, then it makes perfect sense
> to append localdomain.

But does the same apply to the result of getaddrinfo?  Hard to tell.
Up to now, that point did not matter because it was always using
localname if specified or the lookup result if not, so the localdomain
setting only had to make sense for one of these cases.  In the current
coding, localdomain has to be sensible for both strings and there may be
no way to do that.  I think you need to split localdomain into two
settings, one that gets appended to localname (when used) and one that
gets appended to the result of getaddrinfo (when used).  If nobody
squawks about this, that's probably sufficient evidence that localdomain
isn't being used anywhere anymore ...

                        regards, tom lane