Re: [Nmh-workers] UTF-8 message bodies

From: Ken Hornstein
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] UTF-8 message bodies
Date: Mon, 28 May 2012 10:41:04 -0400

>Well, it seems that both approaches can coexists if buildmimeproc
>would do nothing in case of already MIMEfied message. Instead of
>error reporting.

There is one caution here ... if you have a line that begins with a "#"
that is NOT an mhbuild directive then you'll get an error.  That's fine for
us that know about it, but it can bite you.

There was a huge thread about this last year (look in the archives for
messages in November and December of 2010.  I was kinda busy then so I hadn't
digested it all, so I went back and read it again recently.

Here's a summary of the situation: by default we just blast out whatever
you put in the draft, which is mega-bozo.  As Joel's wife has discovered,
it basically won't work unless you're using nmh on the other side (it
might work if you're lucky).  So we should fix that.

I've been idly thinking about this post-1.5, so here's are some suggested
changes:

- We _always_ run mhbuild on a message at send time, but with a flag that
  says "don't process any mhbuild directives".
- mhbuild will silently not process a message which contains MIME headers
  already.
- If you run "mime" at the WhatNow? prompt that will process mhbuild
  directives.
- We should make the content-transfer-encoding selectable.  And I am thinking
  that for text/plain the default should maybe be 8bit.