Re: [Nmh-workers] Locking In Scripts and nmh Locking

From: David Levine
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] Locking In Scripts and nmh Locking
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2012 14:18:41 -0400

Paul wrote:

> i think locking inside of mh is nec'y,

Of course, it definitely is necessary.

I'm concerned about _outside_ poking around _inside_.  Bad
idea.  While it's always been easy to do with mh, I don't
see a need to encourage it any further.  And I'm willing to
help make it less necessary.

> i fought mh locking bugs for years

That's my point :-]

> because my .forward went to a perl script that ultimately
> ran rcvstore, while cron was capable of running "pick" at
> any moment.)

Would a don't-modify-any-internal-nmh-state switch to pick
would have solved that problem?  Assuming it was specified,
of course, but compared to locking that's not a disadvantage.
And if the machine crashes while it's executing pick with that
switch, no harm.