Re: [Nmh-workers] Changes to post

From: Ralph Corderoy
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] Changes to post
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2012 23:55:56 +0000

Hi,

Lyndon Nerenberg wrote:
> I would prefer to build these non-822 directives using a syntax that
> can't be confused with a valid 822 header. I suggest the format:
>
>     metahead = "." directive *(SP params)
>     directive = LETTER *(LETTER / DIGIT / "-")
>     params = ; free-form text to the end of line
>
> In the new syntax the above example would be written as:
>
>   From: address@hidden
>   Sender: address@hidden
>   .mail-from address@hidden

+1 for not trampling the 822 namespace, though I see Ken's point about
the short-term issues with m_getfld().  I wonder if the syntax would
benefit from a colon though, so they look like headers apart from the
leading dot, which we're use to in filenames as meaning `hidden'.

If introduced, .dcc:, etc., could also be added, allowing migration to
`deprecated' over the decades of future MH use.