Re: [Nmh-workers] docs/COMPLETION-BASH.

From: David Levine
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] docs/COMPLETION-BASH.
Date: Wed, 08 Feb 2012 22:44:25 -0500

Norm wrote:

> Well,... I had never heard of a bash-completion package, so it
> wasn't clear, but now it is.
>
> Using Redhat 6.2, I installed bash_completion and put
> COMPLETION-BASH in /etc/bash_completion.d/. The result was that
> every time I hit the tab key I got a slew of error messages about
> undefined variables, from bash. The problem persisted when I removed
> COMPLETION-BASH from /etc/bash_completion.d/, so it had nothing to
> do with nmh or you.  When I logged in as a user, not norm, the
> problem disappeared, so it had to do with my environment. I spent a
> couple hours on the problem, to no avail.  So for now, I gave up and
> uninstalled bash_completion.

You have more patience than me :-)

Just a guess, I wonder if "set +u" would have silenced those
messages.

I removed bash-completion (all of it, not just for nmh) from
my system (Fedora 16) because it disabled some completions
that I use frequently.  I don't think it's very useful for
nmh, anyway, because nmh options can be abbreviated.  It
should complete folder names, but didn't for me.