Re: [Nmh-workers] masquerade settings & spost

From: Alexander Zangerl
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] masquerade settings & spost
Date: Thu, 09 Feb 2012 11:38:34 +1000

On Mon, 06 Feb 2012 22:02:15 EST, Ken Hornstein writes:

>>>Errrr ... you know about the sendmail mts, right?
>>
>>i do indeed - but post always talks smtp, even with mts: sendmail.
>>
>>i need something that submits to a program on stdin without any
>>to-and-fro interaction - which is precisely what spost does.
>
>Really?  I'm curious ... why?

sorry for the late response, but here it is:
i'm using kuvert, a wrapper for outbound mail that gpg-signs/encrypts
it automatically based on where the mail is going.
(see http://snafu.priv.at/mystuff/kuvert/ if interested)

that's my "sendmail:" entry in mts.conf, and the kuvert tool
emulates/wraps sendmail in stdin mode (ie. sendmail <recip> or sendmail -t).

i do this job at that particular point in the pipeline because
i use all of exmh, mh-e (and occasionally raw nmh) in parallel and
don't want to teach each of them independently what my crypto
preferences are - and i *definitely* don't want two+ parties
caching my key passphrases.

as to living with post-doing-batched-smtp: of course i can hack up
kuvert to support this, but i really really like the straightforward
simplicity of non-interactive, one-shot submission of mails where smtp
isn't involved (locally).

>Enough people have said that they use it that it's not going
>to get removed for 1.5; I'm just trying to understand what they need
>from spost that post doesn't provide.

that's fine, and in time i'm sure somebody will find the energy/time
to contribute the code for an spost-like submission mode for post.

regards
az

--
Alexander Zangerl + GnuPG Keys 0x42BD645D or 0x5B586291 + http://snafu.priv.at/
On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament], 'Pray, Mr.