Re: [Nmh-workers] masquerade settings & spost

From: Lyndon Nerenberg
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] masquerade settings & spost
Date: Tue, 7 Feb 2012 09:29:09 -0800

On 2012-02-07, at 7:37 AM, Oliver Kiddle wrote:

> But do you really think that
> should be the only resort when badly formed mail arrives? I'd prefer to
> see what was intended by the sender.

Yes, I do :-(  QP and Base64 (and MIME in general) have been around for nearly
two decades now.  If the sender can't get it right, too bad.  And really, the
only time I see that sort of cruft is from spamming software.

But ultimately, you cannot guess what the sender intended.  Did they intend to
send 8859? If so, why that exception character in the midst of what is
otherwise valid QP?  Does the encoder have a bug?  It would seem unlikely in
this day and age.  The alternatives are someone hand-editing the encoded
message content – in which case I won't even try to guess what they meant - or
the more likely scenario of someone trying to attack your M[STU]A by botching
the MIME parser.  And never rule out sunspots; cosmic ray memory bit flips *do*
happen.

Postel's maxim about being liberal about what you except meant "don't crash the
IMP when someone sends buggy packets."  It never meant "read the senders mind."

--lyndon