Re: [Nmh-workers] Line wrapping in mhl

From: Bill Wohler
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] Line wrapping in mhl
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2012 10:22:26 -0800

Ken Hornstein <address@hidden> writes:

> Fixing this requires some subtle surgery to mhl, which doesn't look
> terrible.  But it begs the question ... what's the right behavior?
> Break at a space?  If so, what should we do about the "next" line?
> I confess to being a bit unsure.  If we have format=flowed, yes,
> the decision is easy (mhl doesn't know about that just yet, but it
> could).  But it seems right now that modern mail programs assume
> that everybody is doing line wrapping and paragraph reflowing, and
> I'm wondering if we should just get on board with that.

Yes. That way your viewing experience can be as wide or as narrow as you
want. We would definitely want to fold with format=flowed. However, I'm
not so sure we want to fold if format=flowed is missing. In Emacs, Gnus
provides "washing" commands to fix up long lines in messages that are
missing the format=flowed attribute. Perhaps we add a -wash option to
mhl so the user can use it on the fly without committing all emails to
it?

Agree with Paul that we don't want to be too fancy; anything that is
better than now is good.

Definitely need to treat quoted text (> or some supercite format) as
pre-formatted text and not touch it.

--
Bill Wohler <address@hidden> aka <address@hidden>
http://www.newt.com/wohler/