Re: [Nmh-workers] request for mh-format "printf" operator

From: Ken Hornstein
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] request for mh-format "printf" operator
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2012 15:59:09 -0500

>I'd like to see the addition of a new mh-format function "%(printf)".
>
>Building and customizing message parts using "%(putstr)" somewhat
>works, but is seriously ugly, because %(putstr) compresses repeated
>whitespace within a string and doesn't parse printf formatting such as
>"\n".

In theory, not so bad ... but actually kind of complicated.  First off,
technically \n isn't printf() formatting.  Okay, fine.  I am a little
unclear on how you envision this working ... are you suggesting that
the argument to printf() would be a printf format and it would operate
on str?  Or something else?  Also, you can put \n in mh-format files
right now and the right thing happens ... but I'm not sure what takes
care of that.