Re: [Nmh-workers] Dealing with missing From: header during send.

From: Earl Hood
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] Dealing with missing From: header during send.
Date: Mon, 9 Jan 2012 20:56:07 -0600

On Mon, Jan 9, 2012 at 8:26 PM, Lyndon Nerenberg wrote:

> And my interpretation of me is:
>
> 1) No From:, no message gets sent.

Yep.  Not sure if there is a
consensus on imposing this behavior, but I fail to
see why not.  Sites that want to enforce a specific
>From at the MTA/MSA level can always overwrite what
the MUA provides (and technically should since nothing
forbids an MUA from inserting any mail header it wants).

> 1a) The 'user' MUST configure the From:.

When using nmh, I occassionally edit the From: in my
editor (Vim) to reflect different identities I'm known
as, so any default user setting would basically set
what is initially inserted into the draft message before
the editor is launched.

Now, if nmh had the ability to preset the From: based
on which identity I received the message under...  Definitely
a feature I like about Gmail since there are 3 identities
I work under on a daily basis.

I currently deal with the issue by having variant components
files and then shell aliases for comp and repl to use
which one I desire at the time.  But this requires I know
which identity to use beforehand (for repl) vs having repl
automatically doing it for me.

--ewh