Re: [Nmh-workers] Holes (was: nmh in near, medium, and far-term)

From: Lyndon Nerenberg
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] Holes (was: nmh in near, medium, and far-term)
Date: Sun, 8 Jan 2012 19:51:21 -0800 (PST)

no. MH message numbers can have holes and can be reassigned. IMAP is
always 1..N, no holes.

Not quite true. IMAP messages sequences are always 1..N contiguous, however the message UID space is not. IMAP UIDs naturally map to MH's message-number file names, with the exception that you cannot 'packf' an IMAP mailbox (because IMAP message UIDs are immutable).

You know, unless I'm missing something, the holes in our messages
numbers could be considered a bug. I find it annoying to have to use
"folder -pack" occasionally. If we kept our folders packed, then we
could get rid of the folder -pack option.

The overhead of renumbering potentially every message file in a folder after every rmm is a potential performance killer. Think 'rmm 1' in an NFS-mounted folder with 10K messages in it. That's an absurd amount of traffic to throw at an NFS server on every message delete.

--lyndon