Re: [Nmh-workers] nmh in near, medium, and far-term

From: Oliver Kiddle
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] nmh in near, medium, and far-term
Date: Sat, 10 Dec 2011 00:13:30 +0100

Jon Fairbairn wrote:

> Long ago, before mh I used an email system that stored email in
> files with unique ids, which suggests a way to do this. Switch
> to storing messages in (say) date-named accession order folders
> with unique filenames (derived from the message-id, or simply
> accession numbers) while the mh folders would contain symlinks
> to these with numeric names as now. So (to continue the example)
> sortm would not rename any message files, but just rearrange the
> symlinks.

If you're going to do that, you might aswell name the files using an
SHA hash. It's not like mail files change often. The idea makes me
wonder if git could be used as a mailstore. With a blob for each message
and tag-blobs for classifying messages. Could be nice if you can push
and pull mail between machines.

Oliver