Re: [Nmh-workers] annoying DNS lookups

From: Ken Hornstein
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] annoying DNS lookups
Date: Thu, 12 May 2011 15:30:49 -0400

>If they're using short hostnames and don't have a 'domain foo.bar.baz' in
>resolv.conf to allow canonization, they get what they deserve.  There's a
>limit to how much misconfiguration we should try to work around.

Errr, has everyone been paying attention here?  Here are some Cliff Notes:

- The current code works (AFAIK) on all non-broken system configurations
  (short names with proper canonicalization available, long names, whatever)
- The original email wasn't complaining about it not working, he was just
  complaining about a delay (which really boiled down to, hey, how come it's
  not using /etc/hosts?)
- My suggestion was that perhaps using AI_ADDRCONFIG would avoid the DNS
  lookup, which I believe would solve the original complaint (the original
  user was using IPv6 only, and it was looking up an A record).