Re: [Nmh-workers] SMTP/IMAP/POP Support

From: Ken Hornstein
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] SMTP/IMAP/POP Support
Date: Fri, 03 Dec 2010 22:19:57 -0500

>I have little use for SMTP except to localhost, and I never understood
>why /usr/sbin/sendmail for submit wasn't good enough.  yeah, in the
>olden days of 8Mbyte sun3s, running a local MTA was expensive...

It's one more thing to configure.

I just tried this out on my MacOS X system that I'm sending this
email from (via exmh, which uses send/post to submit this email via
SMTP AUTH to the mail server directly).  Apparantly MacOS X ships
with Postfix, but it is disabled by default.  Some quick Googling
leads me to believe that this isn't hard to get running, but setting
up nmh was just easier.

I believe in my situation (outgoing port 25 is blocked by my ISP so I cannot
do final delivery myself, I have to send all email via the submission
port to a mail server), I would have to do some extra configuration, and
a quick glance at the postfix configuration file tells me all I need
to know; it's a LOT more complicated than setting up nmh to do it.

So if /usr/sbin/sendmail works for you out of the box, okay, it's
probably equivalent to setting up nmh to connect to your SMTP server
directly.  But that's not true for everybody.  Note that I think it's
perfectly fine that people choose to use the Sendmail MTA; I just don't
think it's the best choice for everyone.