Re: [Nmh-workers] cleaning out the cobwebs

From: Ken Hornstein
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] cleaning out the cobwebs
Date: Thu, 04 Nov 2010 19:24:00 -0400

>> i strongly suggest that KPOP not be deprecated unless you can prove
>> there are no sites using Kerberized POP.
>
>You are still running Kerberos IV?  Really?

Minor nit: you can still do Kerberos V with KPOP.  Works just fine, and
we did it for years.

Mike, I think your Kerberos information is ... well, a bit out of
date.  Any OS that ships with Kerberos today is using Kerberos V
by default.  You can still do Kerberos IV with MacOS X, but I suspect
that capability will be gone as of 10.6.

The point is really moot ... I had forgotten that as part of the normalization
of sbr/client.c to the new networking interfaces, I had garbage-collected
all of the old KPOP code.  I don't think I sent any email out about this,
but it seems that no one noticed.  If you see any code which has an #ifdef
KPOP, rip it out!  Unless someone is actually proposing adding that code
back in.  I won't stand in your way if you really want to do that, but
I reserve the right to make fun of you.

Actually, it turns out I DID send out email about this back when I
proposed removing it.  No one spoke up for it then:

http://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/nmh-workers/2009-01/msg00013.html

So KPOP is gone, and I don't really see a reason for it to come back.
Of course, you can still do standards-compliant Kerberos authentication
via SASL.