Re: [Nmh-workers] Verizon DSL block

From: levinedl
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] Verizon DSL block
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 2010 14:20:11 -0600

Earl wrote:

> I do not know if nmh supports any authentication capabilities.

It optionally supports SASL:

Sat Jul  8 01:36:19 EDT 2000 Kimmo Suominen <address@hidden>

        * Applied Ken Hornstein <address@hidden>'s patches
        implementing SASL support for POP3 and SMTP.  If nmh is compiled
        with SASL support, using the -sasl switch on the inc, msgchk,
        post, and send commands will enable authentication encryption for
        SMTP, and both authentication and data stream encryption for POP3.

To use:

1) Add to configure something like:

  --with-cyrus-sasl=/usr/lib/sasl2

2) Enable in your .mh_profile:

  send: -sasl -user <user>

3) Add ~/.netrc file with:

  default login <user> password <password>

> Also, the smtp port should be configurable vs hardcoded.

It is.  As Ken noted earlier in this thread:

  send: -port submission

(The -port option to send and post doesn't appear in their man pages.)