Re: [Nmh-workers] nmh 1.2 failed in doing smtp authentication

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] nmh 1.2 failed in doing smtp authentication
Date: Sun, 04 May 2008 18:43:04 +0100

Ken Hornstein wrote:
>>If you base64 decode this you'll see that the user name that nmh is
>>sending is "zhangweiwu". So it's not paying attention to the login
>>specified in the .netrc, only to the password.

>yes, it should pay attention to the .netrc file

Sadly the code doesn't do this at all -- the user always comes from
calling getusername(), which only does a passwd file lookup. We
don't call ruserpass() (which is what reads .netrc) until sm_get_pass(),
which will be after we've already sent the wrong username to the
server.

We could fix this by having ruserpass() be called in sm_get_user()
(plus logic to avoid calling it more than once), but I suspect this
would have irritating side-effects if you don't use .netrc (like
going from assuming the local username to prompting for it, and
prompting for a password even if the auth method only demands a
user name).

So it's not a trivial thing to fix, and perhaps we could do with
some cleanup of this area. For instance, just in playing about with
this, I found bug #23167 -- if your .netrc is world readable then
post segfaults; and it doesn't seem to close the file properly
either. Should ruserpass() call getusername() to get its default
user name?

-- PMM