Re: [Nmh-workers] various tidbits and helpers

From: Joel Reicher
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] various tidbits and helpers
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2007 23:38:14 +1100

Old email, but thought it might still be worth replying to...

> The next one I imagine will be a bit controversial. I've been working on a
> replacement for pick which works by picking on an index generated by the
> inc(1) process. (In this case, python wrapper around inc which parses the
> scan output and inserts header information about each mail into a sqlite3
> database.) The idea being that while I like being able to manipulate my mail
> directly, searching it is tedious and slow. With a sqlite database backing
> the search the speed of these operations will be helped a ton. The largest
> concern is implementing the complete feature set of pick (and hopefully
> more, I hope to get FTS as well), and being able to keep the index up to
> date without removing a lot of the flexibility offered by MH.) I like being
> able to manipulate mails directly if I feel like it, so I intend to maintain
> this behavior.

The only controversial aspect of this is that you propose it be a
"replacement" for pick. I doubt whether anyone will accept this, since
the tool you are describing has a whole new data storage system, amongst
other things.

An indexing system is probably a great complement to MH where very large
folders are concerned, but I don't think it should be part of MH itself.

On a more practical note, inc is not a silver bullet for updating the
index, since slocal/rcvstore, refile, and anno all change headers/folders.
It would probably be more useful for you to read the message storage
directly to update your index and not go through MH tools at all. The
easy readability of this storage is one of MH's virtues.

Cheers,

        - Joel