Re: [Nmh-workers] mhshow: invalid QUOTED-PRINTABLE encoding

From: Paul Fox
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] mhshow: invalid QUOTED-PRINTABLE encoding
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2006 10:33:40 -0500

this is a revival of an old thread, from last december.  the symptom is:

 > mhshow: invalid QUOTED-PRINTABLE encoding -- expecting hexidecimal-digit,
 >         but got char 0x6c

i believe there was consensus that a) this behavior was a result
of a problem with the original content encoding, and that b) the
nmh decoder should be more tolerant when decoding, and simply
pass mis-codings through untouched.

was this change ever made?  (i confess i'm not running the latest
code...  "show -version" reports 1.1, built 2/27/2004.)

paul
p.s.  the main sources of such mis-encodings in my experience are
mailing lists (specifically sourceforge lists) which
indiscriminately apply a signature containing encodable
characters to message bodies which have already been encoded.  i
tried filing a bug against the sourceforge infrastructure, but i
doubt anything came of it.