[Nmh-workers] Editing MIMEd messages

From: Jerry Peek
Subject: [Nmh-workers] Editing MIMEd messages
Date: Thu, 02 Feb 2006 09:31:02 -0700

I haven't been following this discussion very closely (I'm working
two jobs these days...), so my comment may be out of order here.
I've changed the subject of this message because my comment is
sort of tangential to this topic.  When I saw this:

On 2 February 2006 at 14:26, Joel Reicher <address@hidden> wrote
"Re: [Nmh-workers] Should attachment header handling be in send?"

> MIMEd messages really shouldn't be edited

I had to disagree.  One of the reasons I like the sort-of arcane
MIME setup in MH/nmh is because I *can* edit the message draft with
vi (or whatever).  For instance, after I type "mime" to build the
draft, I can remove the header fields from a forwarded message that
reveal some personal details about my mail-handling setup (such as
the annotations that come from "anno", forwarding, etc.).  I can
delete bloated quotes, remove or rearrange body parts, change the
separator string to make multipart/alternative into something else,
and so on.  Most monolithic mailers hide those details from me.
I hope nmh never does.

And now back to our regularly scheduled discussion...
Jerry