Re: [Nmh-workers] Ready to roll a new release?

From: Igor Sobrado
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] Ready to roll a new release?
Date: Mon, 09 Jan 2006 10:18:48 +0100

In message <address@hidden>, address@hidden writes:

> OK, I've done some testing and the results are:
>
> Successful compile:
>  Linux/x86 Debian stable (sarge)
>  Linux/x86 Fedora FC2
>  Solaris/SPARC
>  Linux/AMD64
>  NetBSD

Fine!!!

> (I didn't actually test the binaries, just that they could be built.)

I can test the binaries on NetBSD for some days if you agree...

> Failure:
>  OpenBSD/x86: I tried the sourceforge compile farm OpenBSD box, and it
>  built OK except that it screwed up on the makefile in the man/ directory
>  by trying to build manpages before man.sed (despite the dependency rule
>  directing otherwise). It's not a simple GNU-makeism (because NetBSD works
>  fine). So I propose to ignore this as a bug in that make unless somebody
>  submits a patch and rationale.

Agreed.  I would suggest asking for some help in a OpenBSD mailing list
or newsgroup.  Perhaps it is a bug in OpenBSD's make.

> I think the problems Igor was having are because the makefile rules for
> rerunning autoconf were kicking in (perhaps a clock skew problem between
> the machine he ran autoconf on and the one he ran make on?). Anyway, GNU
> autoconf requires GNU m4 (no avoiding that) but a proper release tarball
> including a configure script should have no problems.

Agreed.  I made the fixed tarball in a machine in Spain and transferred
it to a machine in the United States.  "make" should use GMT as universal
time reference but, even in this case, both machines can have a delay
longer than the time required to transfer/unpack/build the new binary.
The machine in Asturias has certainly a delay as it is not using NTP now.

> So I think we could go ahead and roll out a point release.

It's fine for me.  I will not complain, though.  ;-)

Cheers,
Igor.