Re: [Nmh-workers] Ready to roll a new release?

From: Joel Reicher
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] Ready to roll a new release?
Date: Sat, 07 Jan 2006 17:32:31 +1100

> In message <address@hidden>, Joel Reic
> her writes:
> >
> > Unless I've misunderstood the other posts in the thread, it is not
> > nmh requiring GNU m4, but autoconf for when you regenerate the configure
> > script. It is, indeed, the case that GNU autoconf requires GNU m4.
> >
> > This would be an "issue" for any package where you wanted to regenerate
> > the configure script, but doing so is not part of a standard build.
>
> Indeed, it seems that GNU m4 is required to regenerate the configure
> script; that is not a problem at all as the nmh source code will include
> a ready to use autoconf script.  But once applied the patch that fixes
> the issues with nmh-1.2, non-GNU m4 flavours (at least the one in BSDs)
> complain about an unmatched bracket.

But the complaint only comes from autoconf tools, does it not? Only
autoconf tools are calling m4.

> Again, I believe that it is possible I did something wrong when regenerating
> the configure script.  Why is m4 required to run "./configure"?  It can be
> my fault, perhaps I did an incomplete configure script regeneration.

m4 is not required to run ./configure, but the GNU build system produces a
Makefile that will rebuild configure if things like configure.in change.
If the configure script is correct, there is no need to apply a patch
that changes the source for it, and I'm guessing this is what you're
doing.

> What I see is that, after regenerating the configure script and making
> a new "tarball" with an updated "configure", I need GNU m4 to run the
> configure script and compile nmh.

Is it really configure which is causing a call to m4? Can you post the
output? Your previous post had errors from autoreconf, which is to be
expected, and from make, which I've explained above.

Cheers,

        - Joel