Re: [Nmh-workers] exciting new stuff for 2.0 (IMAP proposal)

From: Nathan Bailey
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] exciting new stuff for 2.0 (IMAP proposal)
Date: Wed, 04 Jan 2006 00:56:23 +1100

Is FUSE platform independant?  It seems to be fairly Linux-oriented, but
I may not be digging deep enough.  This page
http://fuse.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/OperatingSystems doesn't seem
to list many OSes yet, but it may be out of date.

From a user perspective, my approach would be invisible -- if you never
used IMAP, you'd never know the commands supported it.  From a
programmer/maintainer perspective, it would simply be a bunch of new
#ifdefs (or similar) that add in optional extra functionality to support
the non-file based folders.

Of course, the alternative is to write nmh in perl (or python, or ruby,
...).  This has the benefit of reusing a whole bunch of code that is
heavily used and maintained (for reading/writing email) and adding only
the mh-specific bits on top.  It also solves the problem of repl filters
extensions -- if it's in perl, the repl filter can be arbitrarily complex.

re,

Oliver Kiddle wrote:
On 23 Dec, you wrote:
I want to do IMAP too.  I have an idea for design:

If I had a need for IMAP support, I would sooner consider writing a FUSE
module for an IMAP filesystem. It'd have more chance of working with
scripts written around MH because non-MH commands would work.

Short of a grab only mode in inc I'd be against cluttering all the nmh
commands with IMAP details.

Oliver