Re: [Nmh-workers] too many uninitialized variables in nmh-1.1 RC4

From: Oliver Kiddle
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] too many uninitialized variables in nmh-1.1 RC4
Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2005 17:31:02 +0100

On 20 Nov, Igor Sobrado wrote:
> I am building the latest release candidate of nmh-1.1.  From the output of
> the compiler I see that there are *a lot* of uninitialized variables.  Really
> a lot of them!  I will use this nmh release candidate on a machine were I am

I would be inclined to think that clearing up compiler warnings is
something we should leave until after the release.

I've looked at a number of the instances flagged by the compiler and it
is generally always the case that the compiler is wrong: the full
program logic doesn't allow the variable to be used without
initialisation. The question is how to deal with these because it'd be
nice if we could prevent the compiler warnings. In some ways I think it
is wrong to needlessly assign 0 to such variables because it implies to
someone reading the code that the variable needs to be initialised to 0
and that that value has a purpose.

Oliver