Re: [Nmh-workers] nmh current development

From: Ralph Corderoy
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] nmh current development
Date: Thu, 12 May 2005 11:32:15 +0100

Hi Paul,

> > though.  I'll even stop whining about putting autoconf-generated in
> > CVS (I'll still think that it's a huge mistake, I just won't say
> > anything about it :-) ).
>
> do you think it's a mistake even if they're commited under
> non-standard names?  i agree that they probably shouldn't be committed
> under their real names, because that does cause confusion, and can
> lead to inadvertent commits.

What's the point of committing them at all?  They're what's produced by
the committer's particular version of auto*.  It's like me checking in
main.o -- it reflects my compiler chain.

Anyone expecting to build from CVS should also be prepared to have
suitable auto* tools.  The tar files of source releases contain the
auto* output so that's useful for posterity and debugging build bug
reports.

Cheers,

Ralph.