Re: [Nmh-workers] sorting on X-Spam headers

From: Ralph Corderoy
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] sorting on X-Spam headers
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2005 11:14:35 +0100

Hi Jerry,

> You could do it with a short script.  Feed the script a list of
> message numbers and X-Spam-Status header fields with this:
>
> scan -format '%(msg) %{x-spam-status}'
>
> The output of that will look like this:
>
> 1 No, hits=-31.6
> 2 Yes, hits=23.2
> 3 No, hits=1.3

Some fix-up might be needed if there's no x-spam-status header.

> Parse out the info you want, then sort, then reorder the messages.  I
> haven't written code to reorder messages, but one easy way I can think
> of is to first rename all the messages starting with two commas (,,)
> or hash marks (##) -- sort of like "rmm" does, but with two of the
> characters so there won't be conflicts with any "removed" messages in
> the folder.  Then give the messages their new names.  That idea must
> have gotchas... one is that if you interrupt the sort, your messages
> will all be gone. 8^}  Maybe someone has a better idea...

Another way is to `refile @. $msg' repeatedly, which effectively moves
the message to the end of the folder, and then `folder -pack'.  It has
the down-side of packing the folder but an abort part way through
shouldn't loose anything assuming refile is safe.

Another way is to anno(1) each message with a new field and then
sortm(1) on that.  But that leaves the annotation in place and anno
doesn't have a -remove option.

Cheers,

Ralph.