Re: [Nmh-workers] scan or show of UTF-encoded headers?

From: Harald Geyer
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] scan or show of UTF-encoded headers?
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2005 22:06:13 +0100

> > I guess it would be much easier und less prone to error to just
> > implement transcoding of messages through iconv instead of trying
> > to adapt the display on a per message basis.
>
> In general, you *can't* do a good job of using iconv to mash things between
> the various iso8859-* charsets.  There *will* be lossage - after all, there
> is a *reason* they're up to -15, namely that one isn't sufficient.  So whiche
> ver
> one you're in, there *will* be lossage for the other 14.
>
> On the flip side, it's possible to do lossless conversion *from* any 8859-*
> into the UTF-8 space.  So teaching the code that currently does MM_CHARSET
> that if the user is in a UTF-8 environ, it should use iconv to convert 8859
> to utf-8 is a better solution.

Actually it is the same solution: If the user is in an UTF-8 environment,
you can't/shouldn't convert to iso8859-* anyway. The best solution is
to convert to the most powerful charset available - be it lossless or not.

> > I remember the gnus people using big sets of tables to do a mixture
> > of transcoding and unifying between character sets which led to
> > messages being split into several parts of different character sets,
> > when it didn't work correctly. I don't know what had been their reason
> > to not use iconv.
>
> At least in the MULE-ized versions of Emacs and XEmacs, the basic reason for
> the big sets of tables is because they're using their own internal encoding
> instead of UTF-mumble (which is also why they couldn't use iconv).

I think I didn't use MULE but I guess you are right - it's a long time
since I switched to vim and nmh ...

Harald