m_getfld (was Re: [Nmh-workers] Wishlist: Extracting Attachments from Em

From: pmaydell
Subject: m_getfld (was Re: [Nmh-workers] Wishlist: Extracting Attachments from Email.)
Date: Fri, 26 Nov 2004 11:58:41 +0000

Jon Steinhart wrote:
>Fear of m_getfld has kept me from trying this.

It's not that dreadful, is it? I grant you that it sticks its
hands deep into the guts of the C library in a dreadfully unclean
manner, but if you're just using it it's not too bad.

Is there any consensus for ripping out the code that knows about libc
innards in favour of using actual standard interfaces now that copying data
isn't so expensive? I think that would make that file much easier to
maintain, and reduce porting issues and avoid potential breakage if the libc
interface changes (or if the GNU folks find some way to restrict programs to
the public APIs).

-- PMM