Re: [Nmh-workers] nmh updates

From: Ralph Corderoy
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] nmh updates
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2004 20:08:11 +0100

Hi,

IMHO...

> Not only does leaving out those files require one to have autoconf,
> etrc, it also requires one to have the right version of autoconf, they
> all tend to be just a bit different, and if someone has a different
> version than the one the package assumes, very odd effects can
> sometimes occur.

My experience is projects don't store generated files in CVS.  If you
check out from CVS then you'll need the relevant build tools, e.g.
autoconf and a C compiler.

> Just keep all of these files, anything that isn't system dependent
> should be retained, and shipped - and checked into cvs so that (even
> long after the relevant version of autoconf has vanished from the face
> of the earth) a particular (perhaps old) version of the software can
> always be built.

Keeping a record of the files that were shipping in a released tar file
is done by keeping the tar file.  Yes, autoconf, etc., changes, but so
do compilers and we don't check in *.o either.  Unlike one project I
worked on, we don't need to CM everything from the OS upwards.

Cheers,

Ralph.