[Nmh-workers] Vulnerability advisory for MIME software

From: Earl Hood
Subject: [Nmh-workers] Vulnerability advisory for MIME software
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2004 13:13:06 -0500

The NISCC has posted an advisory mentioning security problems with
MIME-aware software.  The advisories were also posted by Corsaire
to the VulnWatch mailing list.

The advisory mentions that various vendors used a MIME test suite
from NISCC to evaluate their products.  Unfortunately, NISCC does
not make such test suite publicly available (a personal response
to my inquiry is attached below), but projects like mozilla apparently
have evaluated their software with the test suite.

My bet is that no one involved with nmh has seen the test suite to
see if nmh is open to any of the problems the advisory discusses (note,
the advisory is vague on specific vulnerabilities).

I maintain software package that does MIME processing, so I can
pursue obtaining the test suite for my package and see if it is
worth having nmh have access to the test also; assuming there is
interest among nmh developers and users.

--- Begin Message --- Subject: Fwd: NISCC Vulnerability Advisory 380375/MIME Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2004 11:55:42 +0100 Hi,

NISCC has a policy of only releasing test tools to recognized developers of the protocol in questions. If you meet this requirement we use a non-legally binding framework agreement as a measure of sharing sensitive information. Please supply further details.

Best Regards

Cameron