Re: [Nmh-workers] quotes in personal names

From: Ralph Corderoy
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] quotes in personal names
Date: Sun, 14 Dec 2003 15:51:11 +0000

Hi Robert,

> > If they are then does any processing need to happen to the double
> > quoted string if the double quotes are removed?
>
> No (well \X should turn back into X, for any X, including \ and ").
> Those are rare.

> For display (in scan, and other places) this is irrelevant of course,
> there's no problem scan showing the author as being "A, B, and C"
> without the quotes.

If the quotes are removed then shouldn't the \X become X where possible
so `From: "abc\def" <address@hidden>' would frienderly be `abcdef' and not
`abc\def'?

> friendly() can entirely reasonably remove them.
>
> Also note it is legal (if rarely seen in practice) to have multiple
> quoted strings in the display name, as in
>        "Nobody" "Special" <address@hidden>
> so if someone fixes friendly(), handle this as well.

I guess I'm arguing for the double quotes to remain unless effort is
expended to `do it right', e.g. your example above, and that includes
unescaping things since escapes only exist in certain contexts, one of
which is quoted strings.

Cheers,

Ralph.