nmh-announce

[nmh-announce] nmh 1.8 is now available!

From: David Levine
Subject: [nmh-announce] nmh 1.8 is now available!
Date: Sat, 18 Feb 2023 08:00:51 -0800

Greetings all,

I am pleased to announce that after nearly five years we are
finally releasing nmh 1.8.  The source code release is now
available and can be downloaded from:

    http://download-mirror.savannah.gnu.org/releases/nmh/nmh-1.8.tar.gz

There is an accompanying .sig file for GPG verification.  MIME
external-body pointers to the above files are included in this message.

This release includes a large number of enhancements and bug fixes.
The NEWS file included in the distribution contains greater details,
but the highlights are:

- Support for Content-MD5 header fields, MIME content cache functionality,
  and the message/partial MIME type have been removed.
- Gmail OAuth2/XOAUTH support for desktop applications has been effectively
  dropped, so nmh no longer supports it.  nmh support for Gmail API access
  is experimental, please post to nmh-workers@nongnu.org if you'd like to
  help with test and development.
- repl(1) -convertargs now allows editing of the composition draft between
  translation and any encoding of text content.  Because encoding can wrap
  long lines, the use of a paragraph formatter has been removed from
  mhn.defaults.

This release is dedicated to Norman Z. Shapiro, co-designer of the MH
Message Handling System.  MH is the predecessor of nmh.  Norm was an
active supporter of nmh development until he passed away in October of
2021.  We are most grateful to Norm for his stewardship of MH and nmh.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norman_Shapiro

Thanks to all of the contributors for their hard work and to everyone
who tried out the release candidates and gave feedback; it is very much
appreciated.

As always, please report feedback to nmh-workers@nongnu.org

David Levine
on behalf of the nmh development team