Re: [Nel] Compiled Snowballs, what's next?

From: Andi [ Debug ]
Subject: Re: [Nel] Compiled Snowballs, what's next?
Date: Sun, 19 Dec 2004 16:52:23 -0600

one main contribution id like to make to your words martin is on networking.

the snowballs networking code is tragically out of date imature ugly slow and error prone. a good thing to do is look at MTP Target for their network code as its much nicer but even this is only a guideline an example one single facet of the possible setup of your network code.

download the CHM file for NeL so as you code you can look up things fast and easy to see
exactly whats going on.

the FIRST step a majority of NeL's users do is keeping snowballs as it is try and replace the media

Zones
Models
Textures

the second step is then adding options for new types of media

vegetation
gui

D E B U G
N E V E R B O R N    E N T E R T AI N M E N T
D e s i g n   L e a d    &   P l u g i n   C o d e r
w w w . n e v e r b o r n . n e t
----- Original Message ----- From: "martin" <address@hidden> To: <address@hidden>; "'Developer's list for the NeL platform'" <address@hidden>
Sent: Sunday, December 19, 2004 4:43 PM
Subject: SV: [Nel] Compiled Snowballs, what's next?

Hi.
I believe it's all about learning the nel code and code-design, if not
you cannot successfully use it in the long term.
But the good luck it's clean and pretty straight forward.
When I first developed my own game/engine with Nel about two years ago
now, I started exactly as you, compiling all the code.

After that I started writing my own code from scratch using the
snowballs assets(graphics).
What I actually did was creating an c++ oo designed snowballs or
something like it, from scratch, but with some extra features of my own.
In this way you can always look at parts of the snowballs code if you
get into trouble etc.
Since it contains more or less everything you need for a simple
multiplayer fps.
The best thing is to write an abstraction layer on top, like your own
entity factory, animation manager etc.

After this we started to build the asset pipeline, ie get all the tools
and get our mocap data, models, zones etc into Nel.
This was hard, I however believe this part of the code is much more
mature today.
But don't underestimate the work of setting up a good graphics and asset
pipeline, this is also dependent of what tools etc you use
I remember we had big troubles getting the PACS stuff for
landscapes/zones working.

After you have completed this, create your own server code by looking at
for example the positioning service Snowballs uses.

When you get here, you know a lot of things about Nel and you actually
probably produced a multiplayer fps or something of your own with it.

Also, as times go, you familiar yourself and get to know the code and
coders, it's always a bit troublesome in the beginning to read others
code and comments, but after a while it gets easy.

Good luck.

/martin