Re: [Nel] Success w/ DirectX 9.0 SDK October 2004

From: Vianney Lecroart
Subject: Re: [Nel] Success w/ DirectX 9.0 SDK October 2004
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2004 14:06:59 +0100

Hello Sebastian,

We cannot apply your fix because the function BeginPass() and EndPass() don't exist in the 2003 SDK.

Vianney

Sebastian wrote:
Hello,

I noticed a few people having problems building NeL with
DirectX 9.0 SDK October 2004.  Some of my other projects require this
new update rather than the 2003 one, so I looked into it and was able
to get this working with a just few simple changes.

Between 2003 and 2004, Microsoft changed ID3DXEffect::Pass to a
ID3DXEffect::BeginPass/ID3DXEffect::EndPass matching pair.  Apparently
they thought it was important to allow usage of the Effect::Setx
methods during a Pass.  The new BeginPass/EndPass methods are
explained here:

<http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/directx9_c/directx/graphics/reference/d3dx/interfaces/id3dxeffect/BeginPass.asp>

All this means for us is that we have to change any calls to
ID3DXEffect::Pass to BeginPass/EndPass pairs.  This occurs in three
places.  The following simple fixes make NeL compatible with DirectX
9.0 SDK October 2004:

driver_direct3d.h: Line 1879:
Change:
     drvInfo->Effect->Pass (pass);
To:
     drvInfo->Effect->BeginPass (pass);
     drvInfo->Effect->EndPass ();

driver_direct3d_shader.cpp: Line 1124:
Change:
     si->Effect->Pass(k);
To:
     si->Effect->BeginPass(k);
     si->Effect->EndPass();

driver_direct3d_shader.cpp: 1149:
Change:
     HRESULT r = si->Effect->Pass(passIndex);
To:
     HRESULT r = si->Effect->BeginPass(passIndex);
     si->Effect->EndPass();

Let me know if this works or doesn't work for you.

-Sebastian