[Nel] New to NeL

From: Shawn Schulze
Subject: [Nel] New to NeL
Date: Sat, 14 Feb 2004 22:41:03 -0500

I have always dreamed of writing a MMORPG. I'm an avid coder, Professionally
and otherwise. I am up on all current MS technology etc...

But I have next to no linux experience. I mean I have been a user of it
before. I am a C, C++ and C# educated but dont get many chances to utilize
it as my work is an MS shop.

So Questions I have are:
It looks like I need to have a few boxes at bare minimum to run this. (And
would prefer to do it that way too) There will be 2 of us coding.

How many boxes do I need and with what OSes installed? And hardware
recommendations?
mySQL, Where can I get that?
What should I use to code with? I dont have VS.Net at home but I could buy a
copy if neccessary.
What should I use to compile with?

Currently I have a WinXP and Win98 box and a Win2k Laptop. I have a few
routers here and there as well. Everything here is built, assembled and
installed by me. Intel, Creative Labs, Nvidia, Logitech etc.... I have a
couple P3s around and about but I have to replace the motherboard in one and
if they'll work I'll go fix em but they basically werent doing much for
me.... Any help is greatly appreciated!