[Nel] Trouble with block memory allocator

From: Vincent Caron
Subject: [Nel] Trouble with block memory allocator
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2003 20:56:17 +0100

Hello,

I'm having a hard time with the CSTLBlockAllocator and CSTLBlockList classes. I can't make them compile with gcc 3.2, VC.NET (with and without STLport). I can't make the default stub compile either. After wasting a wealth of time on unreadable compiler errors, I looked more closely at the code. I'm suspicious about the real gain about this hack, and I would like to check some facts before going further into the STL nightmare. I'd be pleased to hear rationales and testimonies about the CSTLBlockAlllocator.

I wrote a simple benchmark, but I can't run it since I did not manage to compile the aforementioned classes. I'm curious about the results, if anybody with a compiling NeL tree could try it, that'd be cool :

  http://zerodeux.net/misc/nel/memory_test.zip

Unpack in code/nel/, it will create a test/memory/ path. VC.NET project files included, it's a basic win32 console project statically linked with the NeL misc library. The result is the average number of alloc+dealloc couples executed per second, the greater the better.