[Nel] stl port problem remains, only a few warnings left otherwise

From: Frederick Desimpel
Subject: [Nel] stl port problem remains, only a few warnings left otherwise
Date: Sat, 23 Nov 2002 22:23:25 +0100

thanks for the quick reply, Vincent

sorry if these mails are a bit long (well this one might get really long),
but i try to define the troubles i have compiling nel as good as possible.
(so i get some quick help :-)
there's much compiling left to do before we can start work on our demo.

you wrote:
> As of STLport 4.5.3, Unicode support seems automatically detected

thanks, that explains why my stlport lib-files had other names, I was still
using 4.5 however, it's only partially solved:
i still get the link error because it doesnt find an stlport lib file, why
don't i have it? Please help, it's the only error i still have.

LINK : fatal error LNK1104: cannot open file "stlport_vc6_debug.lib" --is
this the stlport_vc6_stldebug_static.lib ?--

also, vc says while compiling: 'Using STLport version ??? in normal mode
is this a 'normal' mode as opposed to unicode mode? Then your answer doesn't
fit completely, because before i used 4.5, and it also said 'using STLport
version 4.5 in normal mode'.

but notice also that now with 4.5.3 vc doesn't seems to recognise the
version?? how odd. What do you think i'd do best? i don't think i'l compile
evrything in unicode.
I think i'l stick with 4.5.3, seems to work well. maybe i have to compile
STLport with the vc6.mak file instead of the vc6_unicode.mak file? or is
this what you meant?

and those C4786 warnings? (identifier truncated to 255 chars in debug info)
I still get a whole lot of those in debug builds. do those relate  to the
unicode/normal stlport too? i didn't make that up in your answer.

here's one of them for instance:

---Configuration: misc - Win32 Debug---
Compiling...
stdmisc.cpp
warning C4786:
'_STL::_DBG_iter<_STL::__deque<_STL::basic_string<char,_STL::char_traits<cha
r>,_STL::allocator<char>
>,_STL::allocator<_STL::basic_string<char,_STL::char_traits<char>,_STL::allo
cator<char> > > >,_STL::_Nonconst_traits<_STL::basic_stri
ng<char,_STL::char_traits<char>,_STL::allocator<char> > > >' : identifier
was truncated to '255' characters in the debug information
[...]
------

seems like it has to do with the STL indeed

anyway, following your remarks has done a lot already, my build-log went
from 8000 lines to 3000 :-)

>> C4700's, a local variable p used before being initialised (somewhere in
misc and net)
>You gotta be more precise than 'somewhere' in order we fix that :).

i used the most recent cvs checkout (i even updated before building
yesterday),

here goes, strangely , these don't show up in the debug build, only in the
other three:

L:\nevrax\nel\src\misc\system_info.cpp(463) : warning C4700: local variable
'p' used without having been initialized
L:\nevrax\nel\src\misc\system_info.cpp(468) : warning C4700: local variable
'p' used without having been initialized
L:\nevrax\nel\src\misc\system_info.cpp(473) : warning C4700: local variable
'p' used without having been initialized

L:\nevrax\nel\src\net\service.cpp(1530) : warning C4700: local variable 'p'
used without having been initialized

this last one is the only warning i still get in the nel release build, so i
can't really complain here. still, would be nice to see it fixed.

>> ... some linking errors; LNK2001(unresolved externals),
LNK1120(unresolved externals), and warnings LNK4089(references discarded)
> If you're using MSVC6, then you'll have to deal that with Vianney, the VC6
build maintainer.

i'm using msvc6, so i ask to Vianney, what can i do about those?

the unresolved externals problem is already solved, now i only get two kinds
of troubles: the LNK1104 error because of the stl lib file and this warning:

---Configuration: driver_dsound - Win32 Release---
[...]
Linking...
   Creating library
../../../../obj/Release/driver_dsound/nel_drv_dsound_win_r.lib and object
../../../../obj/Release/driver_dsound/nel_drv_dsound_win_r.exp
LINK : warning LNK4089: all references to "ADVAPI32.dll" discarded by
/OPT:REF
LINK : warning LNK4089: all references to "MSVCP60.dll" discarded by
/OPT:REF

nel_drv_dsound_win_r.dll - 0 error(s), 2 warning(s)
------

what does it mean?

>PS: nice idea to turn off HTML, thanks :)

you're welcome

however i too forget it from time to time, i'd recommend everyone on the
list to be aware of it, it's a difficult read otherwise.

thanks for all the help, Cyberdigitus (frederick desimpel)