[Nel] VC's internal compilation error C1001

From: Beren Sanders
Subject: [Nel] VC's internal compilation error C1001
Date: Sun, 17 Nov 2002 18:23:02 +1100

Hello everyone,
A while ago someone sent a message about a problem they had compiling the NeL misc library using VC. They got a number of "Internal Compiler Errors".

Well, I came up against the same problem recently, and so I'm posting this message so that anyone else that comes up against it can fix it without hassle.

VC's Internal Compiler Error C1001 is a known bug (acknowledged by Microsoft), involving the compiler exceeding its memory limit. It only happens on some configurations (old windows98 and VC6.0 seems to have it), and usually seems to happen when dealing with templates and precompiled headers (i think...). The easy fix simply involves increasing the compiler's heap memory allocation limit. Go to Project menu->Settings->C/C++ and in the project options add a /Zm# switch where # is some number. I think it defaults to 100 but a number of 500 should work (/Zm500).

Thanks,
Beren Sanders