[Nel] Ryzom and Nel questions

From: Mike Stoddart
Subject: [Nel] Ryzom and Nel questions
Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2002 18:46:19 -0700

I admit I was astonished to see the screen shots for Ryzom and then learn that it is being developed with Nel. I had never heard of Ryzom, and I thought that Nel wasn't that far through the development cycle. I thought it was still in the early stages of development, so that was a nice surprise!

So, my question is, is Ryzom using the standard Nel engine, with no extra core functionality (by core I mean networking, graphics etc)?

Does Nel include functionality for players to hold obejcts, such as weapons?

Also, do you have any plans to implement some kind of dynamic shadowing for the landscape? Currently I believe that it uses light maps, so I'm wondering how you would do day/night cycles with dynamic lightjng and shadowing. This would be a core feature in an MMPOG for me, so I'm surprised that it isn't already supported.

Thanks
Mike
---