Re: [Nel] GNU/Linux compilation patches

From: Loic Dachary
Subject: Re: [Nel] GNU/Linux compilation patches
Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2002 10:56:02 +0100

Lars Weber writes:
 > Loic Dachary <address@hidden> wrote:
 > >    Here is a small patch against todays CVS so that
 > > nel & snowballs compile on the GNU/Linux operating system.
 >
 > Thanks Loic for the patches, with them I was finally able to make
 > snowballs compile!
 >
 > *Swwweeeeeeeet*!
 >
 > My hardware is a Duron 800 with 384 MB RAM and a Voodoo 4 graphics card,
 > and the software a pretty clean Debian unstable system with XFree4.1 and
 > no non-free drivers or anything.  I can see snow and everything... and the
 > landscape really looks awesome!
 >
 > I really had to force myself into bed yesterday night... :-)
 >
 > The only problems are the low framerate, which jumps around somewhere
 > between 3 and 5 fps, and an extremely sensitive mouse.  I will shortly
 > take a look at the client.cfg to see if there are any settings that can
 > help me make exploring the territory even more fun!

        You could try /tilenear 0.1 while in game. It is reported to
accelerate significatly on a G400. It is of no help if you have an
opengl driver that accelerates the calculations that are saved by reducing
this value.

        I'd be interested to know if you're using a Free Software driver
for the Voodoo 4. Since you have a rather poor framerate, I guess it's the
case. Could you provide the output of glxinfo ?

        I found noticeable enhancement in xfree-4.2, you may want to switch
to it. Or wait that it pops in unstable.

        I'm using a Debian unstable, xfree-4.2, ati radeon 7500 on a
Dual PIII 450 with 512Mb RAM, AGP x1. That gives me 8fps on average.

        Cheers,