[Nel] GNU/Linux status

From: Loic Dachary
Subject: [Nel] GNU/Linux status
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2002 23:21:29 +0100

        Hi,

        I'm logged in on itsalive.nevrax.org, happily wandering around,
throwing snowballs. I still have a non existant landscape but that's ok ;-)

        I managed to setup the following configuration, Free Software
from top to bottom:

        Dual PIII450 / ~700Mb RAM
        ASUS P2B-D (means AGP x 2 IIRC)
        ATI Radeon 7500 / 64Mb
        XFree-4.2.0 with DRI
        linux-2.4.17 with Radeon DRM
        STL-4.5
        Nel + Snowballs (today's CVS + patches send yesterday evening
                         on the list)
                Compiled with -with-debug
                Full screen 800x600

        It delivers 16fps with the logo turning in the top left corner
and not doing much else. That's not outstanding but I may be able to
increase it with optimized compilation. Anyway, it's a lot better than
the 0.5 fps I had with software rendering.

        I'd be interested to know what kind of frame rate people can
get. Please don't frustrate me with outstanding frame rates that
require proprietary software ;-)

        I'll stay logged in itsalive.nevrax.org all night, you're
wellcome to send me some snowballs while I'm asleep (1840.00, -970.00,
-22.45).

        Cheers,