Re: [Nel] TCP vs. UDP

From: Vincent Archer
Subject: Re: [Nel] TCP vs. UDP
Date: Fri, 6 Jul 2001 13:48:53 +0200

According to Zane:
> I also play AO but every time I've experienced real "bad lag" you cannot sit
> or do any action that requires server-side confirmation including ALL chat
> channels.  In fact, I frequently will say something or shout something so

I wasn't referring to chat channels. I was referring to /tell commands. Who,
apparently, works (sometimes) while the rest is in limbo.

As there is no detectable client-client communication, this shows that the
lag problem is sometimes/often an intra-server lag, not a client-server
lag.

At other times, everything freezes up, as you experience.

> Regardless, we have no data as to wether or not AO is doing it that way.
> Maybe tonight I'll run it in windowed mode and check netstat.  If we've got
> more than one active TCP connection to Funcom servers than that model
> probably isn't what they're using.

I've done a tcpdump. There are 2 connexions I've seen used. One goes to the
login service (dimension load/character selection). The other goes to the
game service frontend. I haven't found out if you disconnect/reconnect from
the game service; I suspect not.

I'm maybe my graphics (love ansi art) should have put "client A", and "client
B". I was suggesting different clients, each connected to a separate process
that handle their frontend, not parallel TCP streams.

> Yes but TCP has latency issues, UDP has packet-loss issues.  Why can't we
> have the uber protocol that has neither??? :)

RDP. Proposed 20 years ago, never ever used :)

> BTW, does anyone know if ipv6 has addressed this issue?  I'm aware of QoS
> but not sure to what degree they've taken it.  Personally I think the only

QoS in IPV6 is a lot better than the V4 version. At least, it uses more than
two bits in the header :)

--
        Vincent Archer                  Email:  address@hidden

All men are mortal.  Socrates was mortal.  Therefore, all men are Socrates.
                                                        (Woody Allen)