Re: [Nel] TCP vs. UDP

From: Nicolas Hognon
Subject: Re: [Nel] TCP vs. UDP
Date: Thu, 05 Jul 2001 17:00:15 +0200

As you perhaps know, we only use TCP/IP (for server-server communication,
but also for the client-server connection) and we currently think more and
more about replacing the TCP client-server connection with a UDP one.

You mean you are thinking about creating a tinny TCP over UDP.
If you want to do that i'm not sure it's a good idea.

in "effective TCP/IP Programming" Jon C. Snader says
in
Tip 7 : Don't Underestimate The Performance of TCP
Tip 8 : Avoid Reinventing TCP

Ok, i'm not very useful in this conversation but
i'm not (yet :)) a network guru ....

I'm interest by answer from other people.

In a first step, we would like to know your opinion about this choice. And
in a next step, we'll do some test about ping/packet lost and so on to
compare TCP and UDP, and we'll need your help to do that.

Vianney Lecroart
---
lead network programmer / nevrax.com
icq#: 6870415
homepage: http://ace.planet-d.net
www.geekcode.com: GCS/E d- s+++: a-- C+++$ UL++ P- L+++>+$ E+>- W++ N+ o? K-
w++$ O- M- V- PS- PE? Y PGP t 5? X+ R- tv++ b- DI D+ G e++ h+ r-- y?