Re: [Nel] Congratulations + concerns

From: Dave Turner
Subject: Re: [Nel] Congratulations + concerns
Date: Mon, 02 Jul 2001 10:05:00 -0400

elijah wright wrote:

> > You are totally wrong...
> > Please go and read about LIBRARY and GPL License...
> >
> > What ever you link to a GPL app MUST be GPL. :)
> > So you have to publish your source under GPL.
>
> incorrect.  you are free to link commercial applications with GPL'ed
> libraries.  library stubs are an exclusion of sorts to the GPL, as they do
> not constitute "extending" GPL-code functionality, but simply using it as
> it is intended to be used.
>
> LGPL-licenses are a very workable alternative; perhaps the nevrax team
> could countenance dual-licensing any such "rules API" and releasing
> parallel versions (with identical code) under both licenses.

1.  Do not use the term commercial when you mean proprietary.
Proprietary is the opposite of Free as in Freedom.

2.  The exception to the GPL refers only to system libraries.

See this for details:
http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/gpl-faq.html#MoneyGuzzlerInc

--
-[Dave Turner                              Stalk me:  (215)-545-2859]
Every day I dream that I'll log on to the channel or walk down the