[Nel] Hello and a Question

From: Alfred
Subject: [Nel] Hello and a Question
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 23:47:54 +1000

Hey guys,
My name is Alfred and my "credentials" are that I am the "father" of admin mod (http://www.adminmod.org) along with being a devloper for some other hl based mods (firearms for eg). I work as a research engineer into tactical networks, so I have a fair bit of experience with comms effects in harsh conditions (i.e the general internet).

Anyway, my question is, why did you develop your own distributed architecture? Why not adapt/extend/use an existing solution such as CORBA or DCOM (urgh, I know, win32 only). CORBA has a fair amount of support and it can be coaxed to have the characteristics you need. I am not saying you should change, I was just wonder what led you to make your own? It just seems that the overheads of designing a naming and authentication service are something that CORBA would have done away with.

--
Alfred Reynolds
address@hidden